Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Monday August 31, 2015 Verdi, NV

We were up at 7 and I started the coffee.  We started drinking the coffee while we got the coach ready to travel.  We said our goodbyes to the Kerslake's and were on the road by 8:40.  We will see them again in April in Lake Havasu City, AZ.

We went north on 101.  I had looked at the map and thought it was only 189 miles to Verdi.  The fuel computer read a little over 400 miles to empty.  As we went north I knew there were turns onto other highways.  When I checked those turns I noticed that we still had 240 miles to Verdi.  Even though the computer said I had enough fuel I don't trust it.  The trust was reduced by knowing that we had at least 3 steep grades to climb.  Along 101 and the Interstate connectors fuel stops were rare.  We finally spotted a truck stop in Tracy.  Better safe than sorry.  It only took 70 gallons to fill the tank, so I would have made it to Verdi easily.

Anyone hungry?  Wait, we aren't stranded.
In all the distance from Morgan Hill to Verdi there were only 2 rest areas.  I passed the first one.  At the rest area at Donner Pass, I looked for a cache.  From the description I was at the right spot.  I didn't find the cache.  Most cachers don't talk about their failure rate. My failure rate on this trip has been 24%.
We arrived at the Gold Ranch RV park at about 3 PM.  We fueled up before checking in, taking the chance that fuel prices may drop after Labor Day and cost less.  When I got to the office it was closed. There was a sign that told me that we were assigned to space 14.  We found the site, a back in site that barely accommodated the coach and the car.  We got set up.  I was surprised how warm it was outside.  Gerri told me that Grandaughters Milana and Maddy were on the way over with  Kaedline, our new great granddaughter.  We waited and Kathleen, Shannon and Glenn, Kathleen's boyfriend arrived. We visited inside the coach.  Milana and Maddy hadn't arrived and we decided to meet them at a pizza place downtown.  Kathleen gave them the directions.

Shannon, Milana and Baby K
 We got to the Pub N Subs before them.  While we were waiting for our food the girls arrived with the baby. I got to hold her first.  For less than three months old she is very strong, already able to hold her head up. We pretty much just made over the baby until the food arrived.  The pizza was very good. After we ate Gerri got to feed Kaedline. After eating we headed back to the Gold Ranch RV Park.  Glenn and Kathleen live near the pizza place.  This was the only time we will get to visit with Milana this trip, she heads back to Washington tomorrow.
Proud mom Maddy


Back at the coach we spent a little time catching up on e-mail and Facebook.  We were in bed by 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment