Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wednesday February 12, 2014, Quartzsite, AZ

I got e-mail from Kevin Mallory that my batteries were in and asking if I could come to Quartzsite on Thursday or Friday.  When he was in Las Vegas the first of the month he had checked out the house batteries and two were bad.  There was also some other work to finish up.

I decided to drive to the "Q" today so that I would be there all day Thursday and part of Friday to complete the work.  Kevin plans to head for the Palm Springs area Friday afternoon.

When I picked up the coach at Bill Cavagnaro's the house batteries were dead so had to let the engine charge them up before I could raise the windshield blinds.  I left the coach running while I hooked up the Jeep.  When I got ready to leave the 12 volt power in the coach was off and a fault light lit on the EMS control panel.  I had no radio or rear view camera.  Later the fault went away but no camera except left turn and no sound on the radio.  The new Silverleaf system worked fine.  When going down hill I get an instant mpg reading of 150 mpg.  Conversely I get as low as 2 mpg going uphill.  The unit gives readouts of a lot of engine functions plus tire pressure and temperature.

My route for the day was to Boulder City and then south on US-95.  I stopped at Vidal Junction to get some things out of the Jeep and put them in the fridge.  I was surprised how warm it was.  I opted to forgo US-95 to Blyth and turned east on CA-162 into Arizona.  I then picked up AZ-95 on into Quartzsite.  That route crosses I-10 and then its a short distance to Vito's RV Park on Kuehn.  I had forgot to write down the starting milage so the trip included nearly 30 miles that had been traveled since our last trip.  I drove 246 miles and average 7.64 mpg, according to the Silverleaf unit.

I got there at about 3:30, 4:30 Mountain Time.  Kevin met me at the entrance while I was paying Vito for the space.  I parked next to his coach and got the utilities hooked up.  Kevin went right to work on the problems with the camera and radio.  He had those problems solved pretty quickly.  The plan is he will replace the batteries tomorrow and check out the electrical system and leveling system.

We went for dinner at the Yacht Club in downtown Quartzsite.  There must be story there somewhere, we are over 20 miles from the Colorado River.

I watched some recordings on TV and called it a night.





No comments:

Post a Comment