Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Friday, December 6, 2013

Thursday December 5, 2013, Fort Stockton, TX

The cold front came in before we got up.  It came with wind and rain.  I should have checked the Aquahot last night.  This morning no heat came on in zone one, the front of the coach.  After having some coffee I went to the office and contacted Matt who sent a tech to our site to check the Aqua Hot.  The tech rapped a wrench on the Aqua Hot fittings and the heat started.

We pulled out of Crestview RV park at about 8:30 AM.  We headed south on I-35 and then west to pick up I-10.  The route took us through familiar territory, Johnson City and Blanco.  We picked up I-10 and proceeded west to Fort Stockton.  Traffic was light but we had some freezing rain along the way.  We stopped at a couple of rest stops but the phone and internet weren't picking up enough for easily locating caches.  At the second rest stop I did get a signal on Gerri's phone.  It was cold and windy out but I found the cache.  It didn't seem as far back to the coach.  Then I found out Gerri had driven closer to me while I hunted.  That sure saved me some walking in the cold.  What a thoughtful wife.

We picked a park to stay at in Fort Stockton that is in the Pass Port America system.  The GPS didn't have it located close to Fort Stockton.  As we got closer Gerri called and got directions.  The Parkview RV Park was only about a mile of I-10.  We got to the park at about 5 PM. It wasn't much to look at, all dirt and above ground power.  We came by a small town named Bakersfield, that and all the power poles around the park, reminded me of Oildale, CA.  Not many places are this dreary.  Of course if the weather was nicer here it might not seem as dreary.  When I hooked up to shore power I walked around the front of the coach and it was covered with a coat of ice.

We had left overs from our stay with Dana and Curtis.  Gerri doctored up some chili and made a great meal.  The heat hit the spot on this cold evening.

Later during the evening it rained for awhile.  Later I couldn't tell if it was ice on the windshield or rain drops.  At 9 PM it was 35 out with a low forecast of 28.

I had planned a stop of two nights on the way home, either at Verde Valley or Lake Havasu City.  Gerri wants to get home as quickly as possible.  That is probably what we will do.


No comments:

Post a Comment