Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cruise 2011, Days 16-17-18

Sunday, October 2, 2011, At Sea, Day 16
Ship's position S15°53.43' W156°44.81', speed 17.2 knots.
After breakfast Gerri went for her facial. Then we met on deck and read for awhile and had lunch.
On TV the past couple of days I have watched the Wall Street protests. My thoughts were that they were a bunch of idiots that had no idea what they were protesting about. Today while we were on deck the song “The Age of Aquarius” played. It was actually very encouraging. It reminded me of another group of know nothing idiots that this country survived. Unfortunately I don't have the same optimism about surviving the current regime, which knows what is doing and is intent on destroying this once great country.
We then went for Carpet Bowl, the women beat the men 27 to 20.
Back to the cabin to read and then get ready for the Captain's Circle members. This is our third formal night. We are at the Gold Level and need to have five more days cruising with Princess to reach the Platinum Level. The ultimate level is Elite. Each level brings a few more perks than the one before. The captain spoke for quite awhile, he was very funny.After supper we went to see a comedian in the Vista Court. The Captain was funnier than the comedian.
We were in bed by midnight.
Ship's position S15°27.92' W16112.09'.


Monday, October 3, 2011, At Sea, Day 17
Ship's position S15°12.14 W163°59.08'.
We were really sleeping when our breakfast arrived.
Today was laundry day. We went to deck 11 because that laundry room wasn't as busy as our deck 9. Still with the wait, time for running the machines and folding it took until 1:30 to finish. The way we planned, we shouldn't have to do laundry again until we get home.
We checked out the pictures, Gerri has weeded out a lot that she doesn't want, but there are still a lot in the maybe pile.
After supper we went to Sammy Goldstein's singalong. I was tired and didn't stay long and went to the cabin, Gerri stayed to singalong.
Ship's position S14°48.29' W165°8.85'.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011, Pago Pago, American Samoa, Day 18
We were at dockside in Pago Pago by 7:30 AM. From our cabin and beyond the dock area the island looks very plush. We had no specific plans for the day. I checked caches available in the area. There are three but all have DNFs, none have been found this year. I may go to one of the areas and log my mileage.
There was the normal shopping stands by the ship dock. After going through those we walked around the town. Eventually we arrived at a recommended restaurant, Sadie's by the Sea, and had lunch. We had a famous Somoan dish, Wahoo fish and chips and onion rings.
By this time every one was hot and tired. I parted company with the group to try and find a cache that showed .89 miles away. It had been placed in June and only had one note, a DNF in July. I caught a bus to the trail head and walked a mile up a trail to a WWII gun emplacement. By the time I got to the top I was missing my Jeep very badly. The cache was an easy find, exactly as the description and hint instructed. It was a real bonus to have my first and probably only cache in American Samoa to be an FTF. When I went to sign the log, I found I had lost my pen. To show I had been there I tore a small notch on each end of the first line on the log. I also left one of my cards and took a good luck coin.
Back down the trail and onto a bus to the ship I had traveled 2.55 miles, each way, it cost me $2 for bus fare and 50¢ for a bottle of water. By far the cheapest find thus far on the cruise. By the time I got back to the ship I was steaming and took as cold a shower as the water would allow.
We sat on deck and then went up and forward as we left the harbor. We are heading further south west. Some time tonight we cross the International Date Line. We wont have a Wednesday, October 5, 2011. When we cross the line it will be Thursday the 6th.
We had supper at the Horizon Court, featuring German food for October Fest.
The ship's position at bedtime was S14°34.29' W171°8.93'.

No comments:

Post a Comment