Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Friday, October 7, 2011

2011 Cruise, Oct. 7, Day 20

Friday, October 7, 2011, Suva, Fiji, Day 20


We arrived in the port of Suva, Fiji and were alongside the dock at 7:45 AM. The port all looks very industrial and there were a lot of shipping containers.

We hadn't planned any activities besides looking around and hopefully a cache or two.

The area around the dock seemed to be more geared to locals wanting produce and other grocery items. We walked around for awhile and then went back to the dock. I negotiated with one of the tour operators to have a taxi drive me to the nearest cache. In a straight line the cache was about 24 miles as the crow flies. It turned out to be a 63 mile round trip. It rained all the way to the cache and back, sometimes very heavily. All the water running across and along the sides of the road reminded me of Las Vegas during our thunderstorms. Suva gets about 200 inches of rain per year. My driver, Roderick, got a big kick out of my explanation of geocaching. When we got to the area of the cache the workers near the site knew what I was looking for. Roderick had a good time explaining geocaching to them in more detail. I think the consensus among the three was that I was another crazy American. While I was looking for the cache Gerri stayed and got directions to a flea market close to the ship where she could look for locally made items.

We had supper with Tim and Beth at the restaurant on deck 8 where we had pizza and lasagna.

We went to a ventriloquist show in the Princess Theater, Sara Jones and 3 or 4 puppets, Very good.

Ship's position at bedtime was S19°24.88' W177°48.31'. The sea is rougher tonight than any other time during this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment