Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Monday, October 3, 2016

Sunday October 2, 2016 Williams, AZ

We didn't try for an early start today.  We only planned to drive to St. John, AZ,  about 150 miles.  The leveling jacks wouldn't come up.  I had to cycle them several times.  It was 10 before we were able to travel.  We opted to try to tune in church services in the evening.

The drive took us through the scenic Salt River Canyon on US-60.  A lot of steep hills and curves.  Gerri posted a slide show of many of the pictures she took along the drive on Facebook.  The lighting wasn't the best, very cloudy in places.











Just past Show Low we turned onto US-61 toward St. Johns.  I pulled over in a wide spot for PR.  I checked and there was a cache only 80' away.  I found it and I knew we were in Apache County, so I have now found a cache in each Arizona county.

It was still 30 miles to St. Johns.  We opted to turn around and head for Williams.  That decision will get us home a day earlier than planned.  When we turned west on I-40 we had a strong crosswind.  This slowed us down and called for constant steering  and correcting for gusts.  Even the big trucks slowed.

We arrived at the Canyon Gateway RV Park in Williams a little after 5. The wind was still blowing and had a cold edge.  I hooked up all the utilities so we can get back to Las Vegas with empty holding tanks.

Our decision to tune into evening service turned out to be a poor one.  The internet at the church end was down.

We had scrambled eggs, hashbrowns and bacon for supper.  I watched another old movie starring John Wayne in the Son's of Katie Elder.

The wind was blowing hard when we went to bed and the slide room awnings were making a lot of noise.


No comments:

Post a Comment