Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Saturday October 1, 2016 San Carlos, AZ

Our plan today was to drive about 141 miles to Globe, AZ and spend a night there.  Before starting out I cleaned most of the bugs off the front of the bug smasher.  I had hooked up the Jeep last night, so all we had to do was bring in the slides, raise the leveling jacks and unhook the electric cord.  Yesterday's problem with the jacks didn't happen again.  We were headed north on I-19 by 10 AM.

We intersected I-10 at Tucson and turned off on Speedway which later becomes AZ-77.  This was the slowest part of the drive.  There were signal lights at almost all the intersections for 15 miles.  I thing we stopped for most of them.

Once out of the urban and suburban area we didn't have as much traffic but the road narrowed and followed the Gila river up through the mountains.  I'll bet people behind me were thankful every time we came to a passing zone, otherwise there were very few places for them to pass or for me to pull over.  Although sometimes steep and curvy it was a beautiful drive with a lot of ocotillo and sagauro visible from the road.  Only a few of the ocotillo had blooms.







I had chosen the Apache old RV park just east of Globe as our stopping point. The drive was 143 miles and took 3.8 hours.  The RV park is a large asphalt parking lot with a few trees around the perimeter.  It is lined for RV sites and has an electric pedestal serving two sites.  The pedestal had a 50 and a 30 amp plug.  We chose a pedestal without a neighbor so we could get the 50 amp plug.  Each site also has water and sewer.  There are some sites without utilities along two side of the park.

We decided to have an early dinner at a Mexican Restaurant Gerri had found online, Guayo's on the Trail.  We had to drive through Globe to get there.  We stopped and I found a cache on the way.  We had a delicious meal.  It was still light when we left the restaurant.  We stopped at two nearby caches and then a third one I had DNFed in May on the way east.  I only have one more county left in Arizona where I haven't found a cache.  Since we plan to spend tomorrow night in St. Johns, I will remedy that.

Back at the coach, Gerri did some computer stuff and reading.  I watched an old Burt Lancaster movie, The Kentuckian.

No comments:

Post a Comment