Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Saturday December 20, 2014 Tucson, AZ

Today started the longest  trip we have taken driving the car in many years.  We are off to visit Curtis and his family in Kyle, Texas.

Todd and family came to Las Vegas on Thursday evening.  Our Family Christmas Party was last night.  Gerri got up at six but I stayed in bed for at least another hour.  Todd, Jeannette and the kids were up.  We had breakfast with them.  Gerri fixed a breakfast casserole with chorizo, eggs and hashbrowns.

Shortly after breakfast we hit the road.  We had made reservations at a Hampton Inn in Tucson.  We took our coffee to drink on the way.  We also took an extra 16 oz. cup each for later.  I didn't want any of my regular readers to thing we had cut down on coffee.  Gerri stopped at Sam's on Rainbow to top off the tank, $2.23 a gallon.  I swung by the credit union branch on Sunset to make a deposit and when I passed Sam's on Roy Horn Drive, Gerri got on the road behind me and we merged onto I-215.

In Henderson we picked up I-515 and were on it to Railroad Pass where it turns into US-93.  We made a short stop in Kingman, AZ and then picked up I-40, US-93 runs concurrent with I-40 for about 20 miles and then we turned south toward Phoenix.  We were on I-17 for aways before joining I-10 west.  We stopped for fuel about 35 miles east of Tucson at Picacho Peaks Road.  Somewhere along the way I realized that I had forgotten my iPad.  I called Montyne who verified that it was still there on the shelf where I charge it.  I ask her to overnight it to Curtis' address.

We got to the Hampton Inn at 4:20 and checked in.  They had upgraded us to a suite.  It was nice.

We went to supper at a restaurant named the Kingfisher.  Gerri had a bowl of Lobster Bisque and I had Clam Chowder.  As a main course we shared a dinner of Fish and Chips.  Gerri got a text from Montyne that she had shipped the iPad but delivery wasn't guaranteed until Wed.  I will be squinting at the iPhone until then.

Back at the motel we got the things that we need up to the room.  We discovered that the toilet was stopped up.  That was the end of the suite.  Maintenance had already closed for the day, so they moved us to the last available room.  We schlepped our stuff across the hall to that room.  The first thing we noticed was that the bed spread was lumpy and it looked like the bed hadn't been made properly.  The desk clerk insisted that it was clean, but at our insistence he put on new bedding.

I have no pictures to post today.  I didn't stop for any geocaches.  It was just drive,drive, drive.

We were finally ready to call it a night at 8:30, that's 9:30 Mountain Time.  Tomorrow it is east on I-10 to Van Horn, TX about 440 miles and hopefully an easier time getting settled into the Whitten Inn.



No comments:

Post a Comment