Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Oceanside, CA

From the Southern California Beach Club, Oceanside, CA N33º11.567’ W117º22.918’

Sunday, November 14

We traded a timeshare week to stay at the Southern California Beach Club in Oceanside, California. We didn’t really start getting ready to go until Sunday morning, the 14th. We left Las Vegas at about 10AM. Traffic along I-15 was moderate until we got to the back up for the agricultural check station at Yermo. I don’t understand what they are looking for anymore, they seldom stop anyone. Must just be a state job maker.

When we crossed the Mojave River, just before Victorville, Gerri remarked how tall the trees in the river bed were getting and that there seemed to be a lot more than in the past. Must have been a wet year, there was even water in the river. We noticed the same thing when we were near the Santa Ana River.

We got to the Condo about 3PM and checked in. We immediately appreciated the warning that the parking garage was very tightly spaced. Gerri’s Lincoln seemed even bigger in the garage. We got in to our unit and settled in time to enjoy a beautiful sunset. As usual Gerri got the best picture and posted it on Facebook.


We went to dinner at the Rockin’ Baja at the Oceanside harbor. The three of us shared two orders of fish and chips. As is our habit we had another exciting evening; TV, computers and reading.

Monday, November 15

Another typical day for the Barkers, sleep late. Except this time we have a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean off our balcony with the Oceanside Pier just to the north.

About noon I decided to walk to a couple of nearby Geocaches. I exited the apartments onto the Strand and walked north. Before long I realized I should have taken the elevator and exited on Pacific Drive. Now I had to climb a long flight of stairs to get on the level of the cache. When I arrived there was an urban nomad camped near what I read as ground zero for the cache. I waited awhile and decided to go to the next nearest cache. On the way back the nomad was still there. During the afternoon I checked back three times and he was still there. About 4 PM I checked and he must have gone to a soup kitchen, the coast was clear and I found the cache easily. Only two for the day.

For dinner we decided on Chinese but there were no nearby places that delivered. We ordered from a restaurant in Carlsbad. I maneuvered the car out, picked up the food and squeezed back into another parking spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment