Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wednesday May 28, 2014 Verdi, NV

Gerri got up at 6 and I followed her at 6:30.  I made the coffee and we drank it while catching up on e-mail, etc.  The wind is still with us but not as strong, there are a lot of Mare's tail clouds in the sky. We had our coffee and lounged around until 9:40.  I planned to get the propane tank filled before leaving the RV park.  The office didn't open until 10.  After filling the tank we were headed north on US 95.

We wound around Walker Lake.  Although we didn't hit a swarm of gnats like on one trip through here, we did see a lot of red algae floating on the surface of the lake. Starting at the north end of the lake there is a lot of agricultural activity with green fields.  Away from the water it is still sparse desert vegetation.  There is a long stretch of nothing between Schurz and Fallon.  Once we got near Fallon the agriculture started again with large fields of alfalfa and  fields being worked.  There are wind rows of giant cottonwoods between most of the fields.

Gerri wanted to stop at the Walmart in Fallon but I was in the wrong lane and passed the entrance.  We stopped at a Walmart in Fernley instead.  We also stopped at the Wadsworth rest stop to look for a cache I had DNFed in March.  Apparently it had been archived because it didn't come up on Gerri's phone or the computer.  From here to Reno the highway travels along the Truckee river so there are several small towns with fields and of course some industry along the river banks.

We continued on on I-80 to the Gold Ranch RV Resort and were set up by about 2.  We got space 57, which is where we parked last year.  As it happens it was also right next to the Schnieders who I had met caching in Hawthorne.

As I was setting up they were headed out to do some caches.  Later I loaded four nearby caches in the GPS and went out to hunt them.  I found one and didn't see a way to get to the others.

After supper Gerri went to Kathleen's to help, or at least watch Maddie prepare Borst for an International Potluck on Thursday night for a social studies class. She got home at about 9 as I was getting ready to shower.  She did some things on the computer and went to the bed with her Sudoku book.  I went to bed and tried to sleep but couldn't.  I got up and checked on the computer and watched a couple episodes of Gunsmoke before returning to bed.  It was cool enough to use a cover to sleep comfortably.

No comments:

Post a Comment