Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Las Vegas, NV Thursday September 1, 2011

I got up at 7 and made coffee.  Gerri was awake and ask what time I wanted to leave.  I told her 9, after I do a couple of caches.  I unhooked the Jeep and did a cache on the north side of I-40 at the same exit as the RV Park.  The second was off the next exit west, Two Guns, AZ.  There is nothing there except an abandoned gas station and a lot of ruins left over from the heyday of Route 66.  The cache was right on the edge of Canyon Diablo.  This cache makes 94 I have done on this trip, June 17-Sept. 1.  Although not large by any standard, Canyon Diablo was a formidable obstruction to east west travel until a bridge was built.  When we got on the road with the motor home it was interesting to note that the next canyon west was named Padre Canyon.
We were on the road by 9 AM.  The trip was uneventful except for the wind.  At Seligman I decided to get off I-40 and continue to Kingman on old US 66.  The old highway is much smoother than I-40.  Someone had put up several of the old Burma Shave series of signs, very entertaining.  The only problem taking this route is the stop and go traffic when arriving at Kingman.
We stopped in Kingman at the Cracker Barrel, opting for a heavy dinner and no supper tonight.
We got to the house at about 3:30 after driving a distance of 307 miles.
I plan to fuel up at Sam's before parking the coach at Bill and Elaine's.  We only unloaded the things we need tonight.
My next blog will be when we are on our anniversary cruise from San Francisco to Sidney, Australia.  I don't know what or if Internet access will be so they may be sporadic.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear that you folks made it back home safely. It sounds as though you both will back to the usual home stuff for a while as you prepare for your cruise. I hope you have a great fall. It was wonderful to have you stop by and visit me here in FV.

    ReplyDelete